There’s some stinky stories here on the Back Page this month, so readers of a delicate disposition are advised to look away now.
Our first story takes us to New Jersey, where back in May a couple were waiting keenly on a delivery of elephant ear plant (Colocasia) bulbs from Amazon. A package duly turned up – despite it being listed as ‘delayed’ on the Amazon website – with a proper USPS logo on it. Inside was another bag with ‘China Post’ on the label, stating that it contained jewellery from Shenzhen.
There was one problem: it smelled awful. In fact, it was so bad that the man gingerly checked the package outside while wearing a surgical mask. He found brown sludge leaking from the package and a really, really bad smell. “It was the weirdest thing I have ever smelled,” he told local reporters. “I used to work at a grocery and that dumpster in the middle of summer – milk and everything else – did not compare to this smell. It was just horrible!”
So bad, indeed, that he called the cops, who sent their hazmat team to check it out. One of the technicians who arrived on scene used equipment to investigate the package and determined it contained something organic. The police duly filed a report (as they always do) but left the package with the couple for them to dispose of.
Oddly, there was a phone number on the package; when the couple rang it, the call was diverted to the man’s own cellphone. Amazon said the number was not one of theirs.
A couple of months later, the man spotted an item on the local news website where the NJ Department of Agriculture was advising against opening packages containing seeds from China. It seems that that’s what the package was, with the seeds having badly decomposed in transit. We don’t know what happened to the bulbs they ordered, though.
But things don’t have to go that far to go bad. We were alerted to a tale from 2018, involving a man in Zhangzhou, China, who showed up at hospital complaining of chest pains and an annoying cough. He was admitted as an emergency and x-rayed to try and find the source of the pain. He was diagnosed with a fungal infection of the lungs and kept in hospital for treatment.
After interviewing the man, medics determined that his condition was most likely caused by his habit of sniffing his socks after wearing them. (Note to female readers: this is what men to do see if they can be worn another day.) But he had a fungal infection on his feet and, by sniffing his socks, transferred that infection to his lungs.
It seems he was not in fact just giving his socks a quick sniff; rather, he admitted to doctors that he had become addicted to smelling them, and it was probably those repeated, deep sniffs that had brought the fungal spores into his chest. The hospital also figured that the stresses of being a single parent and the resulting lack of rest had weakened his immune system to the point where he could not fight off the infection.
The moral of this story? At the end of the day, just put your socks in the laundry basket and walk away.[post_title] => Not otherwise specified: When plants attack [post_excerpt] => [post_status] => publish [comment_status] => open [ping_status] => open [post_password] => [post_name] => not-otherwise-specified-when-plants-attack [to_ping] => [pinged] => [post_modified] => 2020-10-16 08:05:37 [post_modified_gmt] => 2020-10-16 07:05:37 [post_content_filtered] => [post_parent] => 0 [guid] => https://hcblive.com/?p=29170 [menu_order] => 0 [post_type] => post [post_mime_type] => [comment_count] => 0 [filter] => raw )