Regular readers will know that here on the Back Page we have little truck with health and cleanliness. We have too much evidence that inordinate attention to such matters can only lead to accidents. Chasser le naturel, and all that. Or, as Horace put it, naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret.
Here, for example, is yet another example of vanity giving way to injuries. Last October, 16 otherwise healthy people attending a “fitness event” in Putrajaya, Malaysia were injured when balloons used as props exploded. Police reported that someone – clearly not a health freak – was trying to release some balloons and burned through the string tying them together using a cigarette lighter, which was found at the seat of the blast.
The lesson of this incident is twofold: not only are cigarettes bad for your health, but so also is saving money by using hydrogen instead of helium to fill balloons.
THE GASMAN COMETH
And another example came by our desk last month, with news of a man who caused mayhem in a sauna at his local gym. After a workout, the chap – not named in reports, perhaps for his own protection – decided to try out the sauna and found it practically full. But, squeezing in among the other patrons, he found that even after 15 minutes he was barely sweating.
Checking with the others to see if it was alright with them, he took the wooden ladle and brought some water from the swimming pool just outside to splash on the rocks heating the sauna. That did the trick: the sauna started to get hotter straight away.
But then, he said, his eyes started to burn and his lungs “felt like they were on fire”. Everyone else in the room also had the same reaction and they all ran to get out – which was difficult as the doorway was narrow. "Everyone in the pool area was extremely confused as to why we all came flying out of the sauna,” our gym buddy said. “We were wheezing and coughing and dry heaving. I tried to figure out what was going on and I realised that the pool water is full of chlorine. When I poured it on the rocks, the steam it created must have irritated our eyes and lungs. What I essentially did was gas everyone in the sauna with chlorine.”
NOT SO BRIGHT SPARK
For our last story this month, we are grateful to our like-minded colleagues at the Darwin Awards, who reported this incident from March 2018. After two storms in a week, New Jersey was blanketed in snow and a man was off to see his father to help him sweep his drive. But the storms had also brought down power lines, leaving hundreds of thousands without power. Utility crews were working overtime to restore power.
The man was on Route 208 in Franklin Lakes when he came to a detour marked off by traffic cones. But, reluctant to go too far out of his way or get caught up in another traffic snarl, he drove around the cones – and right onto a live cable. His car caught fire and he was killed at the scene. Seeing as he worked as an electrician in New York, he might have been expected to know better.[post_title] => NOS: Unhealthy living [post_excerpt] => [post_status] => publish [comment_status] => open [ping_status] => open [post_password] => [post_name] => nos-unhealthy-living [to_ping] => [pinged] => [post_modified] => 2020-03-23 15:58:57 [post_modified_gmt] => 2020-03-23 15:58:57 [post_content_filtered] => [post_parent] => 0 [guid] => https://hcblive.com/?p=18567 [menu_order] => 0 [post_type] => post [post_mime_type] => [comment_count] => 0 [filter] => raw )