Here’s one of those headlines that pull us up short: “Man ‘could have exploded at any time’ after swallowing lighter,” screamed Our Bitcoin News in November (we have a wide and varied reading list here on the Back Page). Reading further – how could we not? – it seems that the 25-year-old in Shenyang, China swallowed the lighter as a bet when out drinking with his mates. They had drunk perhaps more than was sensible.
A few days after the bet – which we assume he won, the prize probably being more beer – he began feeling ill and started vomiting. Heading for hospital, a doctor in the endoscopy unit noticed a smell of gasoline from his mouth and the whole tale emerged. The hospital said that his gastric juices had eroded the lighter, allowing flammable liquid to leak into his stomach. Had he come into contact with a naked flame, they said, he might have exploded. They managed to retrieve what was left of the lighter in what must have been an uncomfortable procedure, and identified some ulceration as a result of the leaking fuel.
Remarkably, the man had only started feeling ill after a second drinking bout, during which, he admitted, he had drunk “eight or nine beers”. Even more remarkably, this is not the first time this has happened – the report notes that there was a similar case in March last year.
KILLED ON THE JOB
Our Chinese friend was more fortunate than some others who have come into proximity with flammable vapours lately. In St Augustine, Florida in September the sheriff’s office was called to an explosion and fire involving a portable toilet at a construction site after reports from neighbours. Responders wearing hazmat suits found the body of a young woman at the site, alongside the remains of the toilet.
A spokesman for the sheriff’s office said there were no reports of anyone missing and noted that, in 32 years of law enforcement, he had never heard of such an incident before. Detectives were said to be investigating the death.
Over in Hays County, Texas, there was another unusual explosion in November, involving a barn. The sheriff’s office found that a man in the house alongside the barn had been smoking a turkey (which end do you smoke?) when “things got out of control”. Fire spread to the barn, causing the explosion of a vehicle inside.
Investigators also found gunpowder, ammunition and propane tanks in the barn. Reports said the propane tank “might also have gone off” – one would think investigators could tell the difference between an entire tank and one that had suffered an explosion, but there we are.
The local paper, the Free Republic, also mentions that one chicken died in the explosion.
THAT’S SPICY SAUCE!
Less alarmingly, although this is not the first time we have reported on this, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland recalled a batch of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce back in November, saying that there was a “risk of the contents exploding once the bottle is opened”, which could lead to eye or skin irritation.
Members of the public were advised to return any bottle of the sauce to the retailer or to dispose of them. The Authority noted that gas can build up in the sauce as a result of spoilage or contamination during manufacture.[post_title] => NOS: Got a light boy? [post_excerpt] => [post_status] => publish [comment_status] => open [ping_status] => open [post_password] => [post_name] => nos-got-a-light-boy [to_ping] => [pinged] => [post_modified] => 2019-12-10 13:39:53 [post_modified_gmt] => 2019-12-10 13:39:53 [post_content_filtered] => [post_parent] => 0 [guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=13818 [menu_order] => 0 [post_type] => post [post_mime_type] => [comment_count] => 0 [filter] => raw )