We have seen before, on many occasions, the harm that idle teenagers can do, especially when shut in a room with flammable gas. Though we have to say we don’t often hear about such incidents in Japan, where – one assumes, as a result of cultural stereotyping – that teenagers are better behaved than their counterparts elsewhere in the world.
That was not the case back in early September, when three teenagers were arrested on suspicion of causing a fire, which badly damaged an apartment in Nakama, Fukuoka prefecture. They admitted that they had been huffing gas from portable cylinders at the time; one of them then lit a cigarette, with predictable results.
Police were called to the scene and found dozens of empty cylinders in the wreckage. Two of the three were badly injured in the incident and police said they were lucky to be alive.
Another gas explosion of an altogether different kind injured four people in Tainan City, Taiwan in early November. The explosion and subsequent fire also badly damaged a self-service laundry. The laundry was apparently operating illegally – which is the first time we have heard of an illegal laundry, but there we are.
The fire destroyed the building and also damaged adjacent businesses. Fire investigators found four 50-kg gas cylinders linked in series, in breach of regulations that require gas supply in excess of 80 kg to be located outside in a ventilated area. The managers of the laundry are likely to face a stiff fine.
TAKING A TUMBLE
A laundry also features in this intriguing story reported by the BBC at the end of October. Fire crews were called to a derelict laundry in Epping, Essex after three men got themselves stuck in an industrial-sized dryer. The last one in got his ankles trapped in the door, leaving them all unable to get out.
The rescue involved Essex Police, the regional emergency helicopter service and the regional ambulance service’s hazard area response team. Fire crews had to help the last man all the way into the dryer before they could take the door off its hinges and let them out. “We used a range of equipment,” said the watch manager on duty, possibly in a sinister tone. What on earth the three men were doing trying to get into the dryer is anyone’s guess, as there is no report of alcohol being involved.
Then again, this was in Essex.
DRUMS TO REMEMBER
Steel drums are used for lots of things but a Taoist priest got a shock in May this year when he knocked over a rusty steel drum in an alley in Changua County, Taiwan, for inside he found bones, which he immediately recognised as human, according to reports (why a Taoist priest should be able to recognise human bones immediately is not reported).
Police managed to read a faded driving licence found among the remains and identified the bones as belonging to a 29-year old who had been missing for 16 years. His family told police that he had been having an affair with a married woman at the time; she led them to her ex-husband, who quickly confessed and said he was glad to be able to confess to the murder after all this time.[post_title] => NOS: Fire in the laundry [post_excerpt] => [post_status] => publish [comment_status] => open [ping_status] => open [post_password] => [post_name] => nos-fire-in-the-laundry [to_ping] => [pinged] => [post_modified] => 2020-11-20 08:42:20 [post_modified_gmt] => 2020-11-20 08:42:20 [post_content_filtered] => [post_parent] => 0 [guid] => https://hcblive.com/?p=30780 [menu_order] => 0 [post_type] => post [post_mime_type] => [comment_count] => 0 [filter] => raw )