[ID] => 10854
[post_author] => 34
[post_date] => 2019-04-08 14:02:19
[post_date_gmt] => 2019-04-08 13:02:19
[post_content] => In industrial situations, the risk of dust explosions is comparatively well understood. But, aside from old wives’ tales about housewives having their eyebrows singed off when opening a tin of custard powder, the general public – and especially the youth of today – is perhaps less prepared for such hazards.
At least, that is the only lesson we can take from the unending series of examples of dust-related mishaps enfolding young people these days. These incidents normally involved the throwing around of powder in the vicinity of a naked flame, as happened last November in Hong Kong.
According to the local press, more than 20 students were celebrating some joint birthdays at the Kowloon Tong campus of the Baptist University. They came with a birthday cake, of course, and after lighting the candles started up with birthday songs. Then one of the celebrants got out a bag of flour and started throwing it around – such being the habit of students.
Suffice to say, the inevitable happened: the candles ignited the flour with a boom. At least 12 students were injured, one very badly. Press reports reminded people not to throw flour around, nor sugar, sawdust, pudding mix…
DYING FOR DINNER
There was a larger injury toll resulting from an explosion at another celebration last month in a village in Bazhou, in China’s Hebei province, although this was perhaps more predictable. A cook was preparing food for funeral guests when a leak from one of the propane cylinders ignited, causing the blast. Police counted 66 people injured in the explosion, although none was critically hurt.
Pictures of the aftermath showed dozens of chairs scattered around the two lines of tables as mourners fled, with cooking equipment and two gas cylinders lying nearby. Police said they found that the hoses from the gas cylinders were worn out, which had caused the leak. Rather darkly, reports say “an unspecified number of people have been responsible for the incident”, although only two were detained by police during their criminal investigation.
PUTTING OUT FIRE…
Somewhat more mundanely, a man was rushed to hospital in Carver, Massachusetts, last month with burns to his face, hands and respiratory system. As often happens (you know who you are…) he had been burned when he threw gasoline onto a burning fire, presumably a barbecue.
The odd thing about this story, and which piqued our interest, was that the man said that he thought the liquid he was throwing on the fire was water and that he was trying to put the fire out. Perhaps he had no sense of smell, but the difference would seem to be rather obvious to us. More likely he was trying to excuse himself for his stupidity.
BLOW TO THE HEAD
And finally, here’s something from our friends at the Darwin Awards, from their 2017 archives. It concerns a Russian welder, who spotted how neatly a fire extinguisher fitted into a decommissioned howitzer waiting to be scrapped at his workplace in Kurgan region. Priming the artillery piece with calcium carbide and water, he stood back to watch what would happen.
It was the last thing he watched, as the fire extinguisher blew up as it was shot out of the cannon, with shrapnel flying in all directions, including towards his head.
[post_title] => NOS: Excuse our dust
[post_status] => publish
[comment_status] => open
[ping_status] => open
[post_name] => nos-excuse-dust
[post_modified] => 2019-04-08 14:02:19
[post_modified_gmt] => 2019-04-08 13:02:19
[post_parent] => 0
[guid] => https://www.hcblive.com/?p=10854
[menu_order] => 0
[post_type] => post
[comment_count] => 0
[filter] => raw