Baltimore County fire and emergency response personnel were called to a municipal recycling facility one morning in May on reports of an explosion. On arrival, they found some employees with minor injuries and others suffering after inhaling an irritating gas. The incident happened while the employees were sorting household recyclables in the facility.
The fire service determined that the reported explosion was actually a can rupturing on the conveyor belt; unfortunately, the can was an aerosol containing a dog training spray. Up to 20 employees were exposed to the irritant, of which 15 were being evaluated by medical personnel. All needed a trip through the portable decontamination shower while the hazmat team ventilated the building.
How come dogs don’t need decontaminating when they’re subjected to training spray?
GET DRESSED UP
Perhaps the Maryland recycling pickers should take a leaf out of the London commuter book. As the Covid-19 lockdown has been gradually eased, people are beginning to go back to work and, as anyone who has lived in London knows only too well, that inevitably includes a trip on a packed train, tube or bus, with no chance of observing social distancing measures.
While it is now mandatory to wear a mask or face covering when riding on public transport, some commuters have taken things a step further. The local paper, the Evening Standard, carried pictures of one man who was taking no chances: he was dressed head to toe in a hazmat suit, including breathing apparatus.
What the regulations are for carrying a compressed gas cylinder on a London bus, we are not sure. But these days anything seems to be ok.
CLEAN AND DIRTY FOOD
To be fair, ordinary citizens are getting mixed messages about how best to deal with the threat that Covid-19 presents, not least in the US, where the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) became so concerned at some of the stories it was hearing it decided to do a spot of research.
An online survey carried out by CDC found that 39 per cent of those who responded were engaging in unsafe practices in the home in order to protect themselves. These included washing food with bleach, using household cleaning products on their skin, or intentionally ingesting or inhaling cleaning products. Worryingly, 4 per cent had gone so far as to drink or gargle dilute bleach, soapy water or other disinfectants, and 25 per cent of those surveyed reported at least one adverse health effect during April.
CDC concluded that while public announcements should still encourage hand washing and effective cleaning in homes as well as public and work spaces, these should be evidence-based and followed up with advice against potentially harmful practices. “Messaging should also emphasise avoidance of high-risk practices such as unsafe preparation of cleaning and disinfectant solutions, use of bleach on food products, application of household cleaning and disinfectant products to skin, and inhalation or ingestion of cleaners and disinfectants,” it said.
Food can be bad enough on its own, though. Workers at a post office in Schweinfurt, Germany flagged up a suspicious parcel after several of them felt unwell after breathing fumes last month. Emergency response teams traced the ‘fumes’ to a parcel of durian fruits, which smell so bad they are banned from public transport in large parts of Asia.[post_title] => NOS: Down boy [post_excerpt] => [post_status] => publish [comment_status] => open [ping_status] => open [post_password] => [post_name] => nos-down-boy [to_ping] => [pinged] => [post_modified] => 2020-07-10 08:28:00 [post_modified_gmt] => 2020-07-10 07:28:00 [post_content_filtered] => [post_parent] => 0 [guid] => https://hcblive.com/?p=23785 [menu_order] => 0 [post_type] => post [post_mime_type] => [comment_count] => 0 [filter] => raw )